Nightstop would not exist without its army of incredible volunteer hosts. But, how does it work?
- Volunteers apply to become a host, and are visited, supported and trained to become a Nightstop host. Training covering a variety of topics including who uses Nightstop, do’s and don’ts, practical tips, boundaries and volunteer support.
- All our volunteers sign up to a rota and choose which evenings they would like to host, on a completely flexible basis. You can do one day a month, or sign up for every night - it's up to you.
- All young people staying with you are assessed and checked before we arrange any placements. Staff are responsible for supporting young people on their long term needs, including finding them permanent accommodation.
- Hosts provide an evening meal, a private room, and somewhere for guests to wash. Our hosts are trained on how to be a listening ear to young people, so they have someone to talk to.
- Hosts are reimbursed for the expenses they incur, and are provided with toiletries to offer any Nightstop guests staying.
If you think you can offer young people a safe place to sleep and would like to find out more, please get in touch with us. We'd love to hear from you.
Nightstop drivers and chaperones
Many young people who stay with Nightstop have to travel from one side of a town to another, to get to their host's home for that evening. This can be a daunting experience, so we rely on volunteer drivers or chaperones to help us.
The volunteer drivers will meet the guest at the pre-arranged place, drive them to the volunteer host’s home, introduce them to their host and then calls the project to confirm that the person has arrived safely.
In areas with better public transport, volunteer chaperones can travel with the young person on public transport to accompany them to their home for that evening.
Drivers and chaperones are trained and supported by Depaul UK and are reimbursed for expenses incurred.
If you think you can help put our guests at ease, provide a listening ear, and ensure they arrive safely at their host's home for that evening, and would like to find out more, please get in touch.